Jun 13, 2011

The Farmer Brown Report

Our tomato crop has been rolling in for a couple weeks now, picking up steam with every passing day.  We like to pick them when they first start turning any shade of red and let them ripen in the kitchen so the bugs can't get to them first.  We've harvested quite a few MORE beautiful, red ones that I would've posted pictures of sooner...


... but THIS character likes to gobble them down before I can even get them in the house!  


We are really excited by this time to see a bunch of these little cucumbers taking form and growing bigger every day.  I'm crossing my fingers Chewie doesn't discover them.


Our tomato plants have grown so tall and so heavy that some of them fell flat over despite the stakes we've had around them all along.  So yesterday, Josh built a fence of jute to help support them.  Thankfully, cucumbers just do their thing on the ground. :)

5 comments:

Emily said...

OOOOOHHHHH yum!!! You should do some yellow squash! and Red bell peppers too. You inspire me :)

Kimberly said...

We did yellow squash last year and, while they did come in nice, we still couldn't make ourselves like to eat them.

Next year, I'm trying green beans, too, but I like the red bell pepper idea!

Unknown said...

Jacob is a cherry tomato lover too. We have a few on the bush waiting to turn reddish too.

And WOW...those tomato plants are HUGE. Mine are still only a few feet tall and nothing like that. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there...but I'm very disappointed. Maybe we planted ours a little later than yours though:-)

We planted some red and green bell peppers and I can't wait to get those in.

Kimberly said...

Or MAYBE y'all haven't been roasting in the 90's for two weeks like we have here lately - not counting this wonderful week in the 80s right now. Just you sit tight ... those tomatoes are gonna make you proud, I just know it! Do update me on the red peppers this summer.

Amy Faye Brown said...

Such a pretty garden. We planned on one, but now I'm glad we didn't...we've been in the triple digits for several days and no rain whatsoever to speak of. It reached 110 today. So I'm really jealous of your weather and garden.