Mar 7, 2018

For Crying Out Loud

I have posted two sad sick people posts in the past recent weeks and this will hopefully be the last for awhile.  Lasa landed us BACK AT THE DR for her 3rd time in two weeks, our tenth total between all the kids if I am counting correctly.  And then we had to go back today for a still-needed follow-up appt.  

I say For Crying Out Loud, because that is what the solid last month has done to me.  Reduced to me to tears when I have to describe again to someone what ailments we are dying from and how mystified I am as to how and when we will be back on our feet.  I cried at Treasure Creek when they called me to come pick up a too-coughing-gagging Lasa at school yesterday.  I cried when I called my sister to complain.  And I cried again, just a smidge, at the dr's office yesterday afternoon when I didn't know what else to say.  It was just a cough this time, but a persistent unrelenting cough, LITERALLY EVERY 5-10 seconds and she was gagging and choking and gasping in between and why-oh-why was she getting sicker while we are on our third consecutive antibiotic??  Help, please!  

 

And that is what they attempted to do, treating her for asthma type symptoms with more albuterol plus atrovent plus an oral steroid.  Her little body was so tired from all the constant hacking that she actually fell asleep in the chair during the 20 minute breathing treatment there.  After that, she coughed and choked and coughed and gagged allllllll the way til bedtime and my nerves were shot.  At which point, Emily said that it takes about 4 hours for that oral steroid to help. And then, like a light, it just stopped.  And she went to sleep. I may or may not have wondered if she was even alive in that bed, it was so quiet ... after a day full of crazy coughing.

And today we were back in the often-taken-for-granted world of not-coughing all the live-long day. Thank you, Lord.  She has a hack today that is thick and breathing that is still crackly, so we were glad they had us come in again today.  They set us up with some more oral steroid cough medicine combo and we think - we THINK -  we might be golden now and ready to roll into the weekend and both our road trips.  There are only some days lefts of antibiotics for two kids, some eye drops for one kid, and some weeks ahead on Pulmicort for two kids, with albuterol off and on as needed. Between those and the regular allergy med regimens, I am drowning.  It is time for a medical spreadsheet, I am afraid.  Three kids is a lot of kids during sick season, y'all!  I may or may not have happened to mention that to Anna to consider in her family planning one day.  HA! 

2 comments:

G said...

It seems the more you go to the doctor, the more you have to go to the doctor. Antibiotics nuke your immune system and leave you more suceptible to other illnesses unfortunately. It takes years for your immune system to rebuild after one round. I am so sorry to hear about this terrible month. I hope the sunshine and warmth brings fresh air, vitamin D, and plenty of veggies from your garden to get you all back in tip top shape! 🏋

Kimberly said...

Yes! I feel like that too ... that one illness and/or antibiotic weakens her for the next to come right in. So frustrating. Slippery slope of drs and meds and on and on. I was so strong staying home when the first fevers came on... all for nothing. :/