Jan 3, 2017

2017's Wise Word Project

Welcome 2017, I have a good word for you!  

Just wrapped up 2016's Wise Word project - Steadfastness.  This is one that was on my brain often. And trusting God's sovereignty made this virtue much easier to claim.  It was kinda surreal; I was especially aware of the peaceful benefits that came with it - I was all, "this is a totally stressful scenario and really trying waiting game, but it's all good, whatever God ordains is what I want."  I can honestly say I feel like I practiced it well considering how topsy turvy our year was with Angelique and court and custody happenings  ...  until Octoberish when I sort of lost my grip on being steadfast, and lost it over the dumbest things!  I can't even account for why.  I just tripped up and was ... well, not steadfast in handling my emotions.  But I got my feet back under me before December and overall I would say I am proud of the gains I made in my Steadfast chapter.  Not that I will be setting it aside, mind you.  I mean to keep on with steadfastness.

But a new year has brought me a new Wise Word to be intentional about ... and that is Gentleness.  Honestly, I think going after Gentleness will be a more concentrated practice of steadfastness. And it will certainly be a practical echo of the two years prior to this. I'm lookin' at you, Humility and Mercy; intentional Gentleness will require Kimmie to be channeling you big time!

Here is the verse with which the Lord turned my attention to it this fall - 1 Timothy 6: 11-12.
But you, man of God, run from these things, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness.  Fight the good fight for the faith; take hold of the eternal life that you were called to and have made a good confession about in the presence of many witness.
When I pursue gentleness (or any of that list of things) I am effectively taking hold of eternal life.  Taking a virtual tangible HOLD of an invisible thing.  I like that image... of letting go of something temporal and short-sighted (an angry outburst, a selfish choice, a moody demeanor, a pushy request, an impatient reply) and instead grabbing onto what is eternal and lasting and true and more blessed (gentleness, Godliness, peace, humility, mercy, steadfastness, etc).  What a far superior investment of my actions and energy.  And as a personality who tends to be direct, decisive, Type A, and increasingly moody with age, I think a season of purposeful gentleness is just the sort of spiritual muscle I need to be getting into shape with.  I can already feel the peace it will afford me just thinking about it.  I feel a weight lifting.  I feel like I have wasted time not being more gentle before now!!   Anyway, trusting this effort to the Lord!  Good word for a good year. Taking hold of the eternal life.  Amen!

Some extra verses involving gentleness that I am saving here for memorization purposes ...
  • Colossians 3:12 (which I used with Humility a few years ago) - Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
  • Philippians 4:5 - Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.
  • Proverbs 16:24 - Gracious words are a honeycomb; sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
  • James 3:17 - But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
  • James 1:19-20 - My dearly loved brothers, understand this:  Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness God desires.
  • Proverbs 15:4 - A gentle tongue is a tree of life;
  • 1 Peter 3:4 - You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.
As a sidenote, I think it is kind of funny, me focusing on gentleness, because that is such a common word we use round these parts. With Lasa, we are always chiding her to be gentle in her handling of people and toys and things.  Always coaxing, "Be gennnntle." So I will constantly have a reminder on the tip of my own tongue.  Perfect!

2 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Love this.

As I am adjusting to my patents now living under an hour away, gentleness will need to become intentional for myself as well.

Aye-yi-yi.

Kimberly said...

Ooh, girl. I hear ya!