Apr 19, 2012

Do Not Be Anxious

Noah has been struggling with loneliness at school for a few weeks now.  He gets anxious in the mornings and cries and, clinging to me, tells me he wants to stay home with me. Other mornings, the struggle is more internal and he just keeps a stiff upper lip and asks me in the car to pray for him.  

But you know what's interesting to me?

That on the mornings when we sing and talk about scripture on the way to school, Noah forgets to ask me to pray for him about feeling lonely when he is there.  It's like he feels armed and prepared, not fearful or anxious.  Take today for instance.  We sang his most recent memory verse (Phil. 4:6,7) over and over again and we talked about what the verse teaches and discussed the more difficult words. And then we sang it over and over some more all the way to school.  He knows it by heart and is so proud to own it and is encouraged by its promise, I can just tell.  I prayed for him still after he got out of the car, but while I was at it I thanked the Lord for how, like his word says, his peace is guarding Noah's heart and mind.  It is just so cool to see it in action; to observe that Noah leaves my car at peace when God's Word is in his mind and on his tongue, so much so that he again didn't feel the need to ask me to pray for him.  

Do Not Be Anxious (Phillipians 4: 6-7) From Seeds Family Worship



Phillipians 4: 6, 7

Do not be anxious
About anything
But in everything
By prayer and petition and thanksgiving
Present your requests to God

And the peace of God
Which transcends all understanding
Will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Phillipians 4: 6-7

5 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Such a cliche, but this bumper sticker slogan came to mind...

No Jesus, no peace
Know Jesus, Know peace

I love how you incorporate God's Word into the hearts of your babies and how it brings such assurance and peace to them!

Kimberly said...

Exactly! But I guess the bumper sticker didn't have a cute way to describe how some of us who DO know Jesus, still don't claim the peace he has afforded us, right?

I am so thankful for the discipline that Josh has practiced in getting these verses into the kids' bedtime routines ... so that by the time I get around to playing them in the car or applying them to a situation during the day, I am only calling forward what has already been poured into them by him. :)

Emily said...

I agree with Amy's comment. You're very inspiring to other momma's on how to teach the Word...

Emily said...

I THINK Lee will not much like that I am now purchasing on iTunes a seeds of worship CD :) But I loved what you posted here....must have it.

Kimberly said...

Can't wait to hear how Brooklyn and Natalie respond to your songs you get. And Lee, too, for that matter!