Nov 1, 2011

An Open Adoption First

Sometimes I don't know how much to share about Noah's birth mother without disrespecting her privacy in our adoption relationship.  I tell myself it is our story, too, and we are allowed to talk about our life, but I can't get this niggling doubt out of my head about what her perspective on the situation might be about my sharing pictures of her and things she says and does.  Hmmmm.

But the debate is anew in my head today because yesterday was a big first for Noah.  Yesterday, he got a letter from her in the mail along with a picture of her and her boyfriend (Noah's birth father).  The significance of this was lost on Noah; he doesn't really care at his age and understanding.  But it was a big deal to Josh and me FOR him.  She has never mailed Noah anything.  So it was really exciting to see her initiative towards Noah.  And oh, her words to him, about him, about us, just warmed our hearts and soothed our souls.  They were such a delight to read.  (Btw - she also texted us last week to tell Noah thank you for the birthday picture he drew her and the photos we sent.)

I would so blog the letter word for word for keepsake, but I can't help but feel like the older Noah gets, the more her relationship with him, her heart toward him, should be between her and him.  Am I wrong?  I wish I was.  I so want to blog it.

Instead, I'll just remember it here on the blog with a pic... and maybe start back up working on Noah's Life Book for things like this that will be very important to him when he is old enough to appreciate them.   Ooooooh!  I should blog some of Noah's Life Book I made after he was born!  Forgive me, I digress.  Picture!

7 comments:

Emily said...

maybe the address should be left off? That would be a privacy thing...your too, duh :)

That is a really sweet I so want to hear the words of the letter, but the glimpses I saw sounded so warm. Noah will appreciate that small gesture later on..and help him to know that she loved him enough to give him up AND continue loving him in they way that she can. So so so sweet.

Kimberly said...

Yeah. I thought that too after I posted it. I'll upload another shot sans her address. I don't care about mine...I only have friends reading this blog anyway. :)

Unknown said...

You're doing the right thing to keep it private. It sounds very sweet though.

ohhhhhh I wanna learn more about this "life book". Sounds pretty neat to me.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I agree with Shannon that their (Noah's and Tania's) privacy is important, but I would so be having your same dilemma if I was in your place. :) And because of our situation am super curious about the life book and looking forward to hearing more.

The Robinsons said...

Hey Kim!

I agree on the privacy thing, but I just wanted to say you are awesome! How selfless of you (and Josh)to be so excited for Noah! Even though it is an open family adoption, many people in your situation would not have wanted to keep lines of communication open. :)

Krissie

Laura Koslowsky said...

Oh how special for Noah! Such a gift! Sam's birth story is hard and the little information that we have is for him alone. We haven't shared any of it so that he can decide when and who to share it with when he is ready to hear it himself.

Memaw said...

I am so happy for Noah and hope the
relationship will develop slowly and
stengthen in ways that are good for him. I am proud of you and Matthew for your attitude and willingness to share him. Hey, I didn't realize you wanted another boy but am so glad that God knew best and sent us our Anna girl!