Dec 24, 2009

Recipe: Turkey Chili

Mmmm. Made this quick-fix recipe last night and we ate the leftovers for lunch today. Somehow, I think the leftovers were better than the hot-off-the-stove servings.

This recipe was taken from the January 2010 edition of Parents Magazine. "Power Meal for a Chilly Day" they called it. They said it's chock-full of lean protein - just what your kids need after an intense snowball fight. Now we don't have snow, or cold hardly - we are enjoying temps in the upper 50's, but this makes me think of all of you buried in snow further east. Enjoy!

Turkey Chili

In a large saucepan, cook 1/2 lb. ground turkey breast until no longer pink. Stir in 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1 15 oz. can of drained, no-salt-added kidney beans, 1 10 3/4 oz. can reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, and 1/2 cup water; cook until heated through. Serve with low-fat shredded cheddar cheese. Serves 4.

How I tweaked it for us: I used regular tomato soup. I used twice that amount of turkey. I added a can of black beans. I doubled the chili powder. And it goes without saying that we piled, repeat PILED, the cheese on. Needed a little salt, too, which kind of defeated the purpose of the no-salt-added kidney beans. Hah! Still - a good, quick recipe.

No comments: