Oct 14, 2009

Disney: Sound Bytes

Things you'd have heard had you come to Florida/Disney with us:

Noah held on tight to his daddy's leg and his Uncle Lee's leg on one ride (Pirates of the Caribbean? I can't remember for sure) and then I heard some moaning from the men. It seems Noah's was inflicting a little unintentional pain on them in his anxiety on the ride. Nothing a little, "Noah, stop pulling people's leg hairs!" couldn't solve though.

On the way home from one of the parks, an exhausted Noah took inventory of his long, hot, fun-filled day and night. He realized some things were missing at the moment (3 days into the Disney portion of our trip). He asked us, "Where Anna?". After we told him she was with Memaw and Papa John, he had another concern. "Where sun?"

As Josh was slathering the sun tan lotion on Noah's face one morning, I heard this objection from Noah. "No cwown!" I assured him he didn't look like a clown. A little ghostly, maybe, but not clownish. (of course now that I think about it, he may have been saying "Noah cwown." That's the hazard of naming the boy a name that sounds like No when he says it.)

At the Nemo ride at Epcot, the lady behind us was scolding her little boy who was afraid of going on the ride. In fairness, it was a dark enclosed line space and Noah was a little anxious as well after his rude awakenings at some 3-D shows the previous couple days. That's another story. Anyway, the mom was frustrated at her son's unnecessary fear and she was almost yelling the following, "Stop it right now! Just stop it! There is nothing scary in here! Nothing." short pause "...except me!"

On the way into Disney, a naive (and soon to know otherwise) Josh let me know that "People have to be nice when they're at Disney World." Ha! A certain little squabble we witnessed during a parade would suggest otherwise.

I can't remember when or where, but still it was said, "Noah, take your fingers out of your nose!"

Josh, on our way from his parent's to Disney, just after a short snack break, referring to the heat: Oh man, I hate FL. That's when I told Josh, "Now you know why the Indians who were relocated here thought they had been taken to hell itself."

Referring to a Hess gas station on Disney property, I remarked, "That is the prettiest gas station I have ever seen!" Yes, yes, I was riding high on the magic of Disney at the earliest stages of our time there. But truly, it was a pretty station.

At one point Noah asked for something that we told him to ask Santa for. Noah answered with this: Noah wait foo minutes Santa come. We warned him it might take more than a few minutes, though.

I tried to trash one of those long spirally lollipops since the first one Noah had created a world of mess for us to clean up. Apparently, I didn't hide it in the trash well enough because a few minutes later Noah came around the corner of the kitchen holding that very pop, wondering why it was in the trash. I tried to save face and told him I made a mistake and I was so glad that he found that pop. Noah let me off easy with a warning that went as follows: Mommy no do dat again.

My sister was a little on edge at times during our trip, or so it seemed to us. (Love you, Emily!) I can't remember what I said to her about it, but Lee answered back, "She's not happy til she's mad." Gave us all a good laugh, Emily included.

What good is a magical day at a theme park with a three-year-old without a decent tempter tantrum? Noah really was fantastic company for a preschooler, but at some point I had to spank him (I can't remember why now). Noah turns to Josh and me and says, "Mommy hurt my booghee (read bootie)." I answer, "It's supposed to hurt. You were not acting nice." To which he asked me to "kiss it?". I don't believe I kissed it, but I am pretty sure there were giggles and tickles and a pinch to boot.

One night before bedtime Noah complained that his tummy hurt. He continued, "Chokit donuts make my tummy feel bedder."

On the way to the parks each morning, Noah would tell us things he could see in the clouds. These usually consisted of some crying or dancing creature. And then he would invite Josh to play by saying, "What Daddy see?" Nothing funny about this one, only precious. And repetitive.

One of the nights that we spent at Downtown Disney we shopped in a very crowded World of Disney store. It was hard enough to get around on foot, let alone steer a stroller and hold merchandise. Josh was being super helpful while I did the hunting and gathering. He was following behind me pushing Noah in the stroller with Anna strapped to his back in the backpack. He said to me "Man, it's getting hot in here!" At that point, an older man (60's maybe) standing nearby chuckled, looked Josh up and down, and said, "I guess I shouldn't be complaining."

5 comments:

Alison said...

Love the "scary mom" comment...that was me today :).

Alison said...

Oh, and please post a "What we did right/what I wish we had done differently post". Travel crazies like me need this info :).

Emily said...

Haha...so funny! that was fun. Noah's a cutie.

Kimberly said...

Alison - I'll be sure to mention those! :) Josh and I agreed this trip was a big opportunity to gather information about how to go about it better next time. Although we had different guides and tips and checklists and people's advice...it got a little overwhelming if not stressful trying to follow them all at the same time. So I'll mention what we thought to be the essentials of the do and don't do's...based on our experience of course.

Memaw said...

Just caught up on all your Florida posts - I
love them all. It was so special to have all
of you here and to have my special days with
Anna. Love you all.