Oct 7, 2017

Some Hair Firsts for Lasa

For Lasa's Birthday First experience this year we decided to let her get her first ever cornrows.  And it has taken me all of 2+ months since her birthday to find a place I was willing to trust/try and finally get around to making an appt.  We just BARELY got this appt in before the beach, which was the original goal all along.  I begged Josh to call the salon for me (you know me a phones) once I found one recommended by a random black woman I befriended at a GTP meet.  He did me one better by also taking Lasa by that same day to let the owner/stylist check out her hair to be sure she could do it.  Yes, my bearded white husband waltzed right into a black salon without even flinching, bless him.  He's the best!  Teresa was quickly sure that she could do it, gave us a price estimate, and Josh made an appt for today.  Turns out, she wasn't even open today.  She came in JUST to do Lasa's hair!  Bless that woman.  So Noah and I were there with bells on this morning after talking Lasa up on the way so she would be less anxious.  She was still anxious when I first put her in the chair, but it wasn't anything a sucker and some Peppa Pig couldn't resolve.  She was grinning big after I took some pics and showed her the progress along the way.  It was a GREAT first salon experience, first cornrows style, and first ever beads, to boot!  And Teresa was so helpful answering all my many questions that I have been dying to ask someone in real life.


Up close, you don't really notice the pattern I had her work in, but from a distance you can see it clearly.  I have added a couple shots from a local pumpkin patch we hit up afterwards ... you can see the big rows alternated with the littles.  Adorable!  Next time I will try a more swirled side part pattern I have pinned.


It wasn't cheap, though!  $45 plus tip.  Which is a pretty normal rate, I know.  But still.  Ouch!  It's gonna really be worth it if it holds up through our beach trip next week.  It'll be so nice to not have to do worry about doing her hair every day and keeping it looking right.  Apparently, we don't even have to wash it while in this style.  Wish us luck that it holds well!  I am taking all her hair stuff with us, just in case, of course. ;)

4 comments:

Emily said...

LOVE the hair on Lasa!

Kimberly said...

Thaaaanks! It's gotten fuzzy pretty fast. She plays hard. Will only last a week before I take it down. Good to know though!

Emily said...

Oh no! Is that because of her super tight curls?

Kimberly said...

Maybe? I just think mostly from it getting rubbed.