Aug 11, 2017

WPTM #47: Orientation of All Things

First - it has been FOUR YEARS since I last applied my thinking to one of these What Parenting Teaches Me reflections.  WOW!  So, like, the last time I wrote one of these, Anna was 4 years old.  She was a preschooler then.  A lifetime ago!!

Second - my return to WPTM happens now as I reflect on our newest littlest and her ways here in toddlerhood.  So, perhaps, toddlerhood and preschoolhood are where I learn the most?  I dunno. But there it is.

And so - Lasa's first contribution to my WPTM thoughts involves Orientation.  How she orients every. single. thing she beholds and works to make sense of.  If she sees a picture of people, she always, always, always looks for who she perceives to be the daddy and the baby.  Sometimes the mommy.  But always, the daddy.  If it's a cartoon pic of a family of fish, the biggest fish is pointed to and identified by her to be daddy and the littlest is deemed the baby.  If there is a plate of chips, the biggest is called the daddy, the littlest is the baby.  A picture of flowers in a book, the big one is daddy to Lasa and so on. You get the point.  Anything she sees, she always makes sense of it, always orients her understanding of what is before her, by naming the central daddy figure and then all other roles and positions flow from that.

So.

I took from that the reminder to do the same.  All scenarios in front of me, all conflicts that must be worked through, all beautiful moments I behold, all broken ones, too ... I can see them - truly seeeeeeee the reality hidden among them, or the right thing to do in response to them - by looking for Him in them.  Looking for His truth, looking for His leading, looking for His hand, looking for His providence, looking for His revelation, looking for His yes/no.  Just as Lasa first finds the daddy to understand the images she is taking in, so should I first look for my heavenly Father's fingerprint in any given situation before me!

Does that make sense?  It so does in my head, but I am not sure I explained or muddied up the point.   Like I said, I am a little rusty on the WPTM front.  HA!

No comments: