Aug 29, 2017

Meanwhile, Back in Lasa's Ears

We are back at this game again.  Lasa's ears.  Double ear infection.  The fun part is that her ears are actually doing something they have NEVER done before.  DRAINING! The following pics were just the start.

 

So after a week of her messing with her ears off and on, yesterday she actually said the words to spell it out for me that her ears hurt ("Eeya hut me." and later, "Data (doctor), eeya."). So I took her to the pediatrician, but - bless it - he couldn't see anything up in there because they are so full of fluid, crust, pus, blood, and wax.  Seriously.  Why, God, why?!  And also, this child must have a reallllllly high threshold for pain?!  She doesn't carry on about it too much ... just tenses up and says for me to be gentle every time I touch them or apply the drops or try to clean up the drainage around the opening.

So we are soldiering on with two different antibiotics with a side of dropping dairy products cold turkey to see if that is at all triggering her mucus build up and also applying some essential oils topically around her ear/neck just for good measure that a sweet friend from church passed to me just today. I have asked the Lord to give us breakthrough with her ears and I kinda think the actual river of nastiness that is still flowing out her ears after 24 hours is that very breakthrough ... the dr yesterday said it's a good indication that her tubes are still in place and are doing their job.  That is encouraging after her regular dr couldn't even see them in there two weeks after surgery, which was unnerving. We saw a different dr than usual at the pediatrician office yesterday just because I wanted fresh eyes and a third (yes, third!) opinion after our ENT and regular pediatrician. 

We consulted the ENT today to see if he would ok the oral antibiotic (which he previously told us not to use) and he ok'd it along with the ear drops and is having us come in once they have done the job and she is clear again.  Also, that dear dr I saw yesterday got up in the middle of our talk saying he was feeling generous and came back and gave me a whole bottle of the ear drops Lasa needs which was such a surprise and blessing and big savings. He said he had the one bottle and didn't know why he had kept it but that he felt like we should have it. Bless him. When I said, "Thank you, Lord," to myself, he agreed and said the Lord meant it for us.  It was an encouragement for sure.  I for sure went into that visit all jumpy and exasperated and fearful.  We are still paying off her last surgery ... I was already twitching in anxiety envisioning more expense coming our way!  I know the drops are for Lasa's ears, but they also came as a sweet salve to my nerves.

And Lasa, who screamed and resisted all over the place the last two times drs have tried to simply look - just look - in her ears, miraculously didn't freak out at all with this new dr yesterday.  He got good long looks into her ears without resistance.  She tensed up and got alert, but she sat still and didn't fuss.  SUCH a blessing.  I had tried to remind her all morning how she needed to be calm and still and peaceful for the dr and that the dr would be gennnnntle, gentle.  I didn't know how much of that she was understanding though.  I told him I had come in there bracing myself for her screaming and crying.  He laughed and said he comes to work every day braced for screaming and crying.  HA! 

Anyway, I thanked the Lord for her peace at a drs. appt for a change.  And I thank him for the nasty drainage. And I am thankful for hope ... that the tubes were not a total waste of money!

2 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Poor baby.
I'm wondering if her pain was what caused her to be so calm with the doctor perhaps equating him to help and relief.

Send those bills to Angelique since she seems to think she's what's best for Lasa.
Sorry for that snark, but dang it.

Kimberly said...

That is a good point! I wondered that before the visit too - that since she asked for a dr (twice) that day before we got there, that maybe she would cooperate more. Maybe that meant she knew a dr could help?! Maybe! Let's hope!

And ha! Girl, we have started a file of medical receipts for just such an event as might happen when the child support office wants a detailed list of expenses her momma should be helping pay. Yes, siree. On the child support paperwork we got a few weeks ago, in listed that they will be pursuing past due support as well as ongoing support as well as medical coverage. We shall see! If she wants to keep her rights she needs to step up to the responsibility that goes with them. Don't get me started.