Jan 7, 2014

Snow Day

The beauty of homeschooling is that we can still get a day's worth of work done no matter WHAT the weather does.  But yesterday when all of Nashville's schools closed for ice, it was hard to not follow suit ourselves instead of hitting the books for our first day back after Christmas break.  Especially when Josh didn't go into work himself!

It's officially the coldest weather I have ever been in - yesterday staying in the single digits and last night getting down to 1 degree!  Those sorts of below freezing temps took a bite out of Noah's face after about 10-15 minutes of play.  He blistered right up in big yellow puffy bubbles as soon as he came in the house.  But before that drama, he had fun with his sister in the back yard.






Then came the giant blisters.  Then we got that under control and made sure there was no scarring or further damage.  The kiddos warmed up a bit, had lunch, and headed back outside (with more face protection, thankyouverymuch) for a sled ride of sorts.  Josh had to use a hair dryer to unfreeze the 4-wheeler's transmission, but after that he was golden!



Noah's hat-turned-ski mask cracks me up/frightens me,  but it did the job of protecting those sweet cheeks!




This is my favorite shot of all the action. :)


Noah ended up staying out a little longer with friends in the cul-de-sac and enjoyed some sledding on the ice.


Brrrr, is all I have to say!  Which reminds me ... Say Hello to our newest addition, a working fireplace!  So thankful to finally have this bad boy in warming action after 5 years without!  


In defense of our slacker snow day off from school, we are hitting the books today even though the rest of the county is off again for ice - today AND tomorrow!  Brownie points for me and Noah.

5 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

I was going to buy bubbles for my kinders so we could watch them freeze today, but I was too much of a wimp to get out and go to the store last night.

I love that you let them get out and experience this weather instead of keeping them holed up. Looks like way too much fun!

Kimberly said...

Oh, man. I saw that frozen bubbles idea all over FB, too! I pitched the idea to Josh because I was too lazy to bother. He didn't take the bait. :}

Emily said...

Our school system was the ONLY county to have school both Monday and Tuesday…literally…all other counties closed the schools because it was too cold…no rain, no ice, no snow….just cold.

Glad our kids went on to school…cuz there wouldn't be any fun in being stuck inside all day….though, selfishly, I wouldn't have minded a school cancellation cuz this has just been a fun fun FUN christmas vacation with my babies…and in reality, they do have plenty of stuff to play with if it had been canceled and we could have all slept in again. OH well. off to school they went, as the only county to had to go back.

Emily said...

I can't believe his cheeks actually blistered! I want to see a closer up picture of that ordeal!

Kimberly said...

It wasn't just his cheeks either. It was the area above his nose and between his eyebrows and the areas on each side of his nose, a little on his nose, and the area just under the outer edges of his eyes. And when I saw bubbles, I mean they looked more like sheets of bubbles as opposed to little round bubbles. So upsetting to see, especially when you are all ... "I just let my baby scar his face for life!!"

No pics though. :S I tried, but the light was bad and I didn't have time what with all the scrambling to google and apply warm compresses ever so gently.