Jan 21, 2014

Kindergarten Plans

Soooo, this happened on Friday and we got the official notice in the mail on Saturday.

What this means is that Anna is headed to Kindergarten in the fall at the same school Noah attended for two years.  The difference is, it was a smidge out of our control whether or not she could go there. With Noah, the application process was first come, first serve.  After a bit of mob frenzy at application times since then, the acceptance format has been changed to that of a lottery selection.  We were feeling a little on the fence about Union for Anna or keeping it simple and sending her to the school we are actually zoned for instead, so we didn't really mind the big chance of her not getting selected.  I didn't even go to the lottery drawing, I felt so ambivalent about the whole thing. Truth be told, I can see me homeschooling her happily, but Josh is pretty firm that Anna should experience a year or two in a traditional classroom.  Sooo, anyway, we just prayed up the falling of the chips and, in the end, Anna landed at Union.  Can't say that I am as giddy as the next parent might be, but I am glad to at least know that that is one decision made for the coming year and that it is a spot that we are familiar with so it is one less variable to keep track of til July.

Anna plus kindergarten, huh?  That is gonna be a trip!  I better go ahead and start drafting an apology letter for the know-it-all that I fear she will be after all her reading lessons with Josh and all the hours of exposure to Noah's second grade curriculum. Seriously, how many preschoolers do you know that think in terms of skip counting past a hundred, synonyms/antonyms, continent locations, magnet science experiments, water facts, and holy spirit references?  I really, really have no idea how this round of kindergarten is gonna go down.  I'm afraid actually. :}

5 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

This post is one of the many reasons I still prefer blogging to Facebook. There's only so much you can say in a Facebook status, and this was one of those times where more words needed to be shared. I'm glad that your kindergarten plans are underway and I have to be honest I'm looking forward to Anna's anecdotes from the fall. ;-)

Amy Faye Brown said...

She would be an asset to my classroom....the challenge will be to keep her from getting bored!

Kimberly said...

Speaking of your classroom, I told Josh that I am picking up great ideas for things for Anna while I see all your pins... and it helps me see a baseline for where she should be. :)

And, oh yes, Elizabeth. Perhaps I should start a separate blog devoted only to Little Miss. Ha!

Amy Faye Brown said...

Go to cpalms....it lists the common core standards we use in kindergarten in florida. Sometimes you'll also find lesson plan ideas.

Emily said...

So what you're saying is Anna is a know -it-all?! eh…that's okay….some of our best friends are know - it - alls, and we love them for it :) Can't wait to hear how wonderful she does...