Jan 13, 2014

Recipe: Country Casserole

I usually don't cook on the weekend.  We scrounge, do leftovers, or Josh wrangles a dinner together.  But this weekend, I had all the ingredients ready for a recipe I never got around to during the week, so on my blissfully un-hectic Saturday, I got busy in the kitchen after all.  The recipe of the day came courtesy of my good friend Cindy's cousin.  It's called Country Casserole and it comes from Christy Jordan's Southern Plate.com. It was straight up simple and delicious comfort food and even the littlest Brown was happy with it. :)  Kinda went over like chicken pot pie.  Yum!  And the reason I have it on the brain to post right now is because I am eating the leftovers right now for lunch.  Yum again!

Country Casserole

Ingredients
  • 2 cups small shell pasta, cooked and drained (I used radiatore pasta and loved that!)
  • 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, cooked and drained (I used the last of the Veg All we have left)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
  • One can French fried onions, divided (I used more than a can)
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (can use canned chicken or rotisserie )
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine everything in a large bowl, reserving half of the cheese and half of the onions for topping later. Spoon into 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for twenty five minutes. Top with remaining onions and cheese, bake until cheese is melted, about five minutes more.

I even made enough to freeze for a meal on another day.  Go me! 

3 comments:

Emily said...

recipes mean nothing to me without a picture of the final product…..

blogger woman…post a pic!!!!!

Emily said...

uhhhhm….scratch that…you posted a link to the pic… that would be my bad… : /
Looks so good and easy! May have to try that one next week!

Kimberly said...

I know, I know. I need to go back and add pics. But what if it's a bad pic and it makes the recipe look bad as a result? I can't have that! These are all the good ones. :}