Jan 31, 2014

2014's First Words

I finished another historical fiction novel a couple weeks ago (The American Heiress); just about all these words came from it.  What a treasure trove of new vocabulary!  This year, along with my new words, I wanna include the definitions of my favorites as well.  I wish I had been doing this all along really!  

bombazine
hoyendish - wild and boisterous; usually in reference to girls
rococo
cochineal
exophtalmic - having or characterized by protruding eyes
spinney - a small area of trees
pelmets
billet
adamantine - unbreakable
passementerie
parure
caryatids
recusant - a person who refuses to submit to authority or regulation
tumbrils
baize
glissando - a glide from one pitch to another
chatelaines - a woman in charge of a large house
garrotte
salver
aigrette
uxorious
conker
ulster
hansom
fug - the unpleasant air in a room that is very crowded; stuffy air
moribund - at the point of death
contretemps - an unforeseen, inopportune, or embarrassing event
salubrious - health-giving; healthy

2 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Ooooohhh, definitions!
I'm particularly liking fug.
Probably won't use for fear of a slight slip of the tongue, but I like it because it's one of the words that sounds like its meaning. :)

Kimberly said...

I agree, Amy! Fun to say, but also risky to say. ha!