Feb 28, 2013

From my Flu/DeathBed

I so wanted to squeeze in another post before the month ended, but instead I am nursing the flu this entire week.  Josh got so sick so fast on Sunday and I went down right behind him that night.  It's what I get for complaining that I never get to be sick and taken care of, for biting my nails without washing my hands, and for skipping the flu shot year after year.  Turns out, you are not insulated from the devil-germ just because your family is. :S

Anyway, the couch has my body permanently imprinted in its cushions after this week.  And the ottoman has been my faithful nurse when Josh has had to return to work.


As sick as I am, I have been so encouraged by the overflow of help offered and forced on me at times - from 3 different kinds of soups/meals delivered to my doorstep, to childcare, to covering my consignment sale shifts, to shopping for me via fb at presales, to magazines, to sympathy galore online.  :)  Josh, who still isn't 100% after his Bronchitis this week, has managed me and the kids, done sweet, selfless things like run out to get me a shake for my raw throat one night and fresh strawberries and OJ another night, and gotten me a million things I needed when I was too weak to get it myself.  Here, he was reading with Anna in the cave they made together.


So thankful for our friends, neighbors, and my hubby.  Receiving such kindnesses has really challenged me to step up to that plate more myself when others are down and discouraged as well.  A simple need met is a HUGE encouragement! Love you and thankful for you especially Cindy, Susie, Kelli, Buffie, Vivian, and Melissa! I can't even count all the other offers of help that I have had to politely decline because nothing else was needed. So blessed.  And even more blessed to be able to recognize it.

Thankfully, Noah is healthy and at school each day and Anna is a patient angel doing what she can to amuse herself while I am out of commission.


Today she has created her very own bunny costume.  She used a headband and scarves to make "bunny ears" and she tucked an Easter egg into the back of her tutu for a "bunny tail" and she put socks on her hands to simulate "paws."  On one of my many many bathroom runs (I am attempting to drown myself in fluids, you know), she sidelined me to the playroom, signed me in on her clipboard, and honored me with a showing of her new Bunny Hop Dance. She was inspired by a basket and bunny and plastic eggs our neighbors dropped by last night and then a Peter Rabbit episode she saw this morning.  You can only imagine all the TV watching going down around here. :}


Anyway, the fever seems to have relented for the most part and I think I will be back to life this weekend.  I haven't gotten a flu shot since my classroom teaching days, but I can assure you that risky habit stops now!

3 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

I can't tell you how sorry I feel for you.
It's amazing to me how this stuff isn't confined to one town or small region...it travels everywhere! I just got home and the phone rang with ANOTHER of our young women who has pneumonia and needs someone to cover her duties at church for the next couple weeks.

I love reading how your friends take care of you. That makes it tolerable at least when you're showered with love and care.

Praying you are better super fast!

Kimberly said...

Thanks, girl!

Emily said...

No kidding! You really are SUPER blessed to receive that kind of help. And I wouldn't have expected any less from Josh to step up and take care of you and the kids while you were down and out. Makes it feel even better to care for him when he's sick, knowing he'd do the same for you 100%.

You all just get all those nasty sick bugs on out of your systems before you travel to MY region of the world :) I pray Noah doesn't get it....makes asthma so much more difficult to manage when you've got the chest crud.