May 16, 2011

WPTM #27: Practicing His Presence

What Parenting Teaches Me #27:  Practicing His Presence

Noah and Josh were sitting side by side playing video games when I came in the room and told them some exciting news.  Noah, instantly thrilled, stopped what he was doing, tapped Josh on the shoulder and animatedly repeated the news to his daddy as if Josh had not just heard me say it himself.   Maybe Noah wanted to be the news bearer, maybe he wanted to personally see his daddy's reaction, maybe he just wanted to share the moment with his most favorite person in the world.  He certainly knew his daddy would want to share the moment right back with him. And his daddy responded in kind, acting surprised at the second-hand information Noah repeated. 

I laughed that Noah didn't seem to realize Josh had already heard the news.  But then I thought about the picture it painted of how I am to take my moments, thoughts, questions, observations, and concerns to the Lord.  Yes, He knows what they are already.  Yes, He knows what I am going to say about them before I even form the words.  But by actually going to Him with my passing thoughts and emotions, I am reminded through Noah's innocent example, that I am building relationship with my Father - I am practicing His presence - in the same way Noah did with his daddy.

It's not so much about the thing as it is about the relationship, connection, and communion that thing affords.

5 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

By far my favorite WPTM to date! Your insight....just no words. You just nailed it. :)

Memaw said...

I feel the same way Amy does. You give me such spiritual insight to things I would probably never think of. Thank you.

Kimberly said...

Wow - thanks y'all! I felt like I was tripping all over my words and disorganized - not communicating it well enough. Guess I'll let myself off the hook this time.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Yep, you should left yourself off the hook. I really enjoyed this one too. In fact, I had considering forwarding the email to a few friends who I thought would appreciate your words of wisdom. :)

Emily said...

No kidding, I agree with all of the above. I love reading your WPTM posts. I always learn something from you. I'm so thankful for you!