May 30, 2011

Recipe: Chicken and Rice

I believe I've been in a cooking rut for a little while now.  Couple that with the fact that any new recipe I've tried lately hasn't been a keeper and you see why I haven't had any new dish worth sharing here...except for one.  I made this simple Chicken and Rice recipe last week and we all loved it.  Finally, we liked something new ... although familiar to us.  It reminded Josh and me of these boxed rice dinner meals we used to buy in our newlywed days called Supper Bakes.  It turned out simple and delicious ... except minus the box now. :)

Chicken and Rice
  • 1 c. uncooked rice
  • 1/2 envelope onion soup mix (I used more)
  • 2 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 6-8 skinless chicken breasts
  • butter, salt, pepper to taste
Mix rice, onion soup mix, boiling water, and cream of chicken soup in 9x13 baking pan.  Add chicken on top of mixture.  Dot with butter, salt, and pepper to taste.  Cook, covered, at 350 for 1 hour, or longer, until well done.

4 comments:

Emily said...

gonna be trying that one out!

Emily said...

nothing crunchy on top??? Like no crackers crumbled??? I may need to add that solely for texture purposes.

Kimberly said...

No, no crackers named, but yeah, I have done the same cracker crumble move on other dishes before. Never hurts. ;)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Was skimming through your recipes this morning because I'm working on planning out February's meals (first time in who knows how long that I've planned for a month). This one caught my eye because it's nearly identical to a recipe my mom used to make when I was a kid, but she used pork chops instead of chicken. If you're a pork eating family, I'd recommend trying it. :-)