Feb 11, 2012

The Lacuna

Just finished a book that was a little difficult to wade through, but I feel good having stuck with it and having at least enjoyed it once I got past the halfway mark.  My favorite quote from the book was, "Memories do not always soften with time; some grow edges like knives."  Here are the new words I gathered along the way of The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, an author with whom I am always impressed.  My favorites are marked in bold.

gallinaceous
cotching
maguey
nostrilice
calabash
sockdolager
portmanteau
peonage
somnambulant
dentrifice
posit
confabulations
inglenook
betwixt
haint
grippe
aerie
impecunious
polyglot
caul
inimical
cadre
gorm
occlude
situ
peplum
effete
cupiditas
catafalque
cortege
balbriggans

Next up in Kimmie's reading queue is a book about Zipporah - timed just right to coincide with where we are in our chronological bible readings.

No comments: