Sep 5, 2008

A Rainy Day Indeed


I am a dog lover.

Josh and I have had 3 dogs together since we have been married. Jasmine, the rottweiler, whom he had before we ever met, so she came with the man when I married the man. Jake, the black/tan dachshund that we got from a breeder just months after we got married. Josh didn't want that little dog. In fact I had to win a game of rummy to get my way. And I slaughtered Josh in that game of rummy. And then after a couple years, we decided to get another dachshund (a red one) just for the fun of it and for Jake to have a playmate, since Jasmine was an outside dog and Jake was inside usually. So we found and fell in love with Charlie from a newspaper ad and he had quite a story that I will not detail now.


Our family of 5 was made up of more dogs than humans and that was just how we liked it. So you can imagine the irony and heartbreak that came from finding out that Noah was allergic to dogs. I think we were just blinded to the signs that whole first year of Noah's life, but to be honest, there weren't really any sure indicators until he started crawling around and even then it was just chalked up to skin problems and excema. But alas, other issues led us to an allergist and the test made us wake up to reality...that Noah was allergic to our beloved family members.

And in effort to keep our canine babies, we confined them to spaces that Noah would not be exposed to and that worked well for awhile. To make a long story short though, the hassle of keeping Noah separated from Jake, Charlie, and Jasmine became quite frustrating if not depressing. Why have pets if you can't love them, play with them, enjoy them and vice versa? The whole point is companionship! As time and age would have it, Jasmine was the oldest and we had to put her to sleep last year when she got sick. That was a tearjerker goodbye - more for Josh than me, but I felt it too. This past January I shared in a bible study prayer group that we were needing to find a home for our remaining two dogs, and lo and behold, I was sitting next to a dog lover... a dachshund lover at that, who was destined to bring Charlie home to her girls within the month. What a happy little family for Charlie and his personality fit them well. He is quite happy there, and I did not cry like I thought I would because it was such a happy match.

And that brings me to this week. I think moving to TN put the fire under our ... well you know... to finally take care of this dog business we have put off for over a year. We sent some emails, made some fliers, and put them up at Jake's vet in hopes of finding Jake a suitable home. And just as I asked the Lord, we got a call right away...first thing in the morning at 8:00 today. One of the vet techs at Jake's vet is taking him home to her mother who has been looking for a playmate for her poodle. And while relief rushed over me to know he will be in a dog friendly and loving home, as I got up to wash Jake's bed and dog bowl, the tears just started rolling. I made Josh go away and just let me cry. This canine goodbye will hurt like Jasmine's did, only worse, and it is only fitting that today is a rainy day. The day Jasmine died was a rainy day as well. (Charlie's goodbye was a sunny day, but that matched Charlie's personality, sunny and perky). But my Jakey, he is my furry baby that we have had since we got married, and my days will have a hole in them starting today at lunch. Bittersweet is the word for the day. It is for the best, I know, but just humor me and let me cry for my Jakey's goodbye. It is the end of an era in the Brown household.

7 comments:

Alison said...

Knowing how much I "love" dogs, I hope that you can appreciate that I am a little sad for you today. That was a heart-wrenching story!

Emily said...

Poor Kimberly...you always did like that dog...even though he had his quirks :) Dogs really ARE family members, too! It won't hurt so bad after a week...then a new normal will make little Jake just a memory.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kimberly, that makes my heart hurt!! Emily's right, time will heal, and you have so many new things...GOOD things...ahead, that a dog would kind of be in the way. Enjoy your soon-to-be new house, your soon-to-be new baby, and your new life. THEN when the baby grows up a little, get yourself that (hypoallergenic) poodle you mentioned when you were here. The kids would LOVE a new puppy when the time is right. : )

Bill and Melodie said...

I'm about to cry after reading your blog :(
Bill keeps telling me that we are gonna have to get rid of Max if it doens't work out between the two of them...
I said, we wouldn't get rid of You if she didn't like You...
Hurting for you!!!

Unknown said...

Saying goodbye to your furbabies had to be sooo hard. {{{{HUGS}}}}We had to do that after Jacob was born to our Bassett Hound. It was so hard to come to the decision and he went to a very loving home that allowed him so much more freedom and attention. Having a baby was a great distraction. We found out last year that Jacob was allergic to dogs and cats so we're off the list as pet owners for now. I'm not sure if he'll ever outgrow them like the food allergies. I'll have to research that one.

Kathy said...

My heart breaks for you. I can't imagine how hard this has been for you. Charlie has been a God send to our family as I know Jake will be to his new family. Your hurt has brought joy to others if that helps any. i am praying for you on this "rainy day". Love, Kathy

Kimberly said...

Thanks y'all for understanding...it makes me feel better.