Sep 6, 2008

Hunting a Lullaby

Around the time we began the adoption process in GA, but before Noah ever came into the conversation, Josh and I were a part of a house church that really shaped our definition of what a church family should be like. There were spiritually authentic, encouraging, honest, and most of all, worshipful times in our Thursday night meetings in addition to rich fellowship and meaty teaching. And one of the songs we sang again and again was Be Thou My Vision. That really became the cry of my heart as we navigated the twists and turns and ups and downs of adopting. By the time Noah came into the picture, it was only natural that this tune was stuck in my head and it became the lullaby I hummed/sang to him in the early morning feedings, middle of the day feedings, and middle of the night why-won’t-you-go-back-to-sleep feedings. That song’s lyrics are now mounted in a frame in our bedroom (well, except for being packed at the moment) and will always take me back to that house church and our first adoption and our first baby’s first days.

The other night as I was playing with my new iPod and stretching my new iTunes wings, I started singing along with one of my favorite Jennifer Knapp songs and Anna started to move around inside my stomach ( I know, I know…where else would she be right now). And I thought…hey, yeah, she needs a suitable lullaby…but I want it to be like Noah’s….a song that is not categorized as a lullaby, but has a soft lullaby-like tune. So as I scroll through my iTunes library and all the cd’s I have yet to import and all the songs I love from worship at church, feel free to suggest a song you think would make for a nice soft lullaby to sing for Anna when she gets here.

Update: I am 36 weeks!!

PS - Our house has never felt so sterile and cold...I miss my Jakey Bear.

PPS - We close on our house Tuesday and our new house on Thursday. I will be in town until the following Monday. :)

8 comments:

The White Family said...

When/Where are you having Anna? How are you doing!? I'm going to call you soon! I hope that the closings go well.

Unknown said...

I'll have to think about this one for a day or two. The first song that came to my mind was Matthew West's - Safe and Sound. I'm not sure if you're looking for that kind of song though.

I can't believe you're 36 weeks already. Remember Julie Crosby from my wedding. She just had her third last week! It's baby season. I can't wait to see pictures of Anna. I'm praying for you and your family as you wait and move towards this next chapter.

Alison said...

My dad sang "How Firm a Foundation" to me as he carried me out of the delivery room and then as I grew up. I could hum the song before I could talk. It was, of course, played at our wedding during the seating of the parents.

I regretted that I never sang anything to Levi, so I tried to change that with Kara. For whatever reason, I picked "Lord, I'm amazed by you" (actually I don't know if that is the title). Anyway, the past couple of weeks, Kara has been a wiggle worm whenever I started singing, so 2 nights ago, I just rocked her (no singing). She got real calm. Apparently, it is better for me to NOT sing! :)

Kimberly said...

Alison: Love that How Firm a Foundation Story!

Kasey: Probably in 2 weeks, here in Huntsville. Doing? Getting more scared by the minute!

Shannon: I meant to tell you - I am so glad the business is going well for you!

Emmuh said...

What about Find me in the River? Kurt Henry does a nice version, but Lady D10 is really the best at that one.

Or Ginny Owens If you Want me to? Those work when I'm singing those lulling-type songs.

And I just got a Shuffle, not quite ready for the full on IPOD. And I love, love love it!

Emily said...

Holy is the Lord by Chris Tomlin is good for Natalie in the car...I sing it when she cries in the car (you know how she HATES the car) and she actually stops crying. I just discovered this yesterday, but it has worked the last 3 times I've been the car with her.
It's not real lullaby-ish, but it's pretty...
and the other favorite of ours is God of This City by Chris Tomlin as well----just sing it softly and it could work too :)

Elizabeth Bradley said...

So I've been contemplating this post since Amy introduced me to your blog a couple of weeks ago. Be Thou My Vision - definitely one of my favorite songs. A dear friend played it as a handbell solo at our wedding 8 year ago. I love the story of how it "fit" your family when Noah came along.

As for Anna's song, whenever I think of this post I find myself singing/humming one of two songs... My Jesus, I Love Thee or Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Both old hymns with amazing words. Not sure if you've found a lullaby or not, but I thought I'd share. :)

Emmuh said...

Re what Elizabeth just said, I've got to chime in again. My Jesus I love Thee has been a song that has come to my heart so many times. In times of joy or grief, it serves me well. Hopefully you are having a great time with Miss Anna. If ever I loved thee, my Jesus tis now...

1. My Jesus, I love thee, I know thou art mine;
for thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art thou;
if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.

2. I love thee because thou hast first loved me,
and purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree;
I love thee for wearing the thorns on thy brow;
if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.

3. In mansions of glory and endless delight;
I'll ever adore thee in heaven so bright;
I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow;
if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.