Jun 6, 2008

Pigs in Heaven

To keep myself from going crazy during these days of (what can only be called) Toddler Tedium, I have returned to an early love I had as a child - and that is reading. You know, just a little bit of adult thought and conversation thrown in with the Noah's usual, "no, no, no" or grunt, whine, fuss, or the oh so treasured "mommy, mommy" and the contagious giggle of satisfaction over the littlest things. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate staying home with Noah in ways I never imagined I would. In fact, I am midway through a list of daily treasures of Noah's antics and nuances that I will post as soon as I think I have captured his sweet little essence. But again, I just feel starved for some adult interaction and friendship and conversation, which I know is probably very normal for stay at home moms.

Anyway, all this to say, I have read almost 25 books just this year. I am in the middle of reading 3 right now. And the one I can't seem to put down (and not just because I am almost done with it) is called Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver. Not only do I love the way she writes, the style and imagery she uses, but I just love her storytelling and the stories she weaves. This is the third book I have read of hers this year. She is now tied with my favorite author, Leif Enger - who sadly, has only written two books so far.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I'd like to read more too, but when given the option of actually having time to read or sleep...oh man the choice is simple! You must not be having difficulty sleeping at night yet...

Kimberly said...

No trouble sleeping that a little Unisom tablet doesn't remedy. And believe it or not, I nap every day lately...being pregnant is exhausting!

sosagtsie said...

Yeh, I remember being pregnant. Napping was a wonderful thing. Though, even now, it's a wonderful thing :)

i love reading. I've just started back too, although I can't get my brain to work for most of the books I used to read. I guess I need more sleep for that, lol.
I have such trouble putting a book down once I'm reading it though.

Anonymous said...

When you're pregnant a NAP is a must! I can't imagine the exhaustion of being pregnant while chasing another. I love to read but haven't found the time lately. That's one thing I love about vacation. I take like 3 books and dig in.

Anonymous said...

So...maybe I am a total slacker...but as soon as I pick up a book...wam...I am completely asleep within minutes. It can be 10am, 2pm or 8pm. Doesn't matter what the time is...I am just out. I think as soon as I sit and my body relaxes after chasing the 3 kiddos around all day, I completely zone out. Maybe one day I'll read more. I like the idea of reading, but making it a reality is where I fail!