Jun 7, 2016

Word

Latest words I have savored - some new, some just appreciated anew.  Faves in bold with definitions.

stemwinder
conversant
forestall
twee - excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental
canaille - the common people; the masses
superintended - oversee
noetic - relating to mental activity or the intellect
wisenheimer - person who behaves in an irritatingly smug or arrogant fashion
milquetoast - person who is timid or submissive
concuss
foozle - a clumsy or botched attempt at something

3 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

Twee and foozle!
Love.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Your word lists often leave me smiling, but this one most of all. :-) I was familiar with at least half of them this time too!

Stemwinder is one I've heard most all my life and is often used by Shannon's parents in regards to grandchildren. ;-)

My husband has an affinity for words too and just the other day was trying to come up with a word that meant "commoner" and never could put his finger on what he was searching for. I'm betting that it wasn't canaille, but I'm sure he'll be happy to know it. In a recent email Shannon used the word copacetic and I honestly had to go and look it up (and the other email recipient had no idea what it was and thought he'd misspelled a word!).

Wisenheimer always has and always will make me laugh. It sounds like such a fitting and yet made-up word.

I would never have suspected milkquetoast to be all one word or spelled that way!


Kimberly said...

Seriously, Amy. I am starting to notice my latest word faves sound like Dr. Suess lingo. :}

LOVED the commoner synonym timing, Elizabeth! Wisenheimer does sound like a joke/made up word. And milquetoast still feels awkward to try to say... :)

Love that a word post got some love today. <3