Feb 4, 2016

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

Truthfully, I should have posted this back in December as I downloaded it for the holiday.  It is stunningly beautiful.  But really, it's more a hymn than a carol, so it's valid here in February where I find myself humming it still.  Love. The last verse is my fave.  The last line is the one I like stuck in my head the most.  Just worship!



Let all mortal flesh keep silence, and with fear and trembling stand; 
ponder nothing earthly minded, for with blessing in his hand 
Christ our God to earth descended, our full homage to demand. 

King of kings, yet born of Mary, as of old on earth he stood; 
Lord of lords in human vesture, in the Body and the Blood. 
He will give to all the faithful his own self for heavenly food. 

Rank on rank, the host of heaven spreads its wings on the way, 
as the Light of Light descendeth from the realms of endless day, 
that the powers of hell may vanish as the darkness clears away. 

At his feet the six-winged seraph, cherubim with sleepless eye,
veil their faces to the Presence as with ceaseless voice they cry,
"Alleluia, alleluia! Alleluia, Lord Most High!"
"Alleluia, alleluia!  Alleluia, Lord Most High!"

2 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

My church kiddos did this about 3 years ago as part of their Christmas play and I've loved it ever since.

Kimberly said...

❤️