Nov 14, 2014

SHOWing Off

This week Josh and I went to see Tim Hawkins live while he was in town on tour.  Was such a good show!  And it was PACKED.  I had no idea so many people knew about Tim.  The line to get in was wrapped around the building (and it's a big long string of buildings technically) in the freezing cold on a Sunday night!


Josh originally did not care about going, but I think he is glad I made him come.  He laughed some seriously hard laughs, struggling for air right along with me at different points during the sets.  I laughed so hard I was coughing and choking by the time I could come up for air.  And then this was only made funnier by the impersonations and jokes Tim Hawkins made about people getting old and laughing so hard it morphs into coughing spells.  HA!

Noah got to take in a show this week as well.  The Nashville Children's Theatre hosted a homeschool day, complete with a private performance of their current play, James and the Giant Peach.


We were pretty excited to see the show since we just so happened to have read the book earlier this year. The play was sooooo well done and we had great seats right on the end of the second row.  With no one actually in front of us, it felt like the front row.  And that circular stage you see just behind Noah served as the peach for much of the performance so the characters were RIGHT in front of us.   I didn't know it would be a musical performance, so that was a treat.  The actors' voices were so beautiful and interesting.  I am just sorry we couldn't stick around for the Q&A with the performers and the craft activities they offered our kiddos. :(  Had to hurry home to get our girl after school.  Looking forward to not straddling the homeschool/public school world next year for reasons just like this.


Speaking of our girl and school, Anna, while not necessarily seeing a show, did go on a field trip to Discovery Center children's science museum this week and was thrilled to the core to go on that adventure ... and to get there riding in a real live schoolbus. :}  First time ever for the littlest Brown and it was a really special detail for her.  In other showing off news, Anna built this masterpiece freestyle this weekend.  It's a Lego bunny pencil box, that's a carrot she made for it, and she even has a bunny tail situated there in back. Josh and I were beyond impressed!


Noah, really getting into the spirit of two chapter books he's just read relating to artistic endeavors, created this mosaic from Anna's loom bands.  In case you can't quite make out the theme, it's a garden with fruits and veggies and flowers and even a cloud and rain.


This boy is not at all ever interested in artsy stuff,  and, accordingly, nor is he really any good at it, so to walk in and see what his downtime and initiative had to show for itself one morning really had me floored.  There's just no limit to a how a good and/or well-chosen book can open the mind and expand horizons.  Thank you, Chalk Box Kid and Paint Brush Kid books!  This alone made my week. ♥  Can't help but show his work off, too.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Woman! Anna could've stayed at my house longer after school so that you and Noah could go to the Q&A and craft. She didn't want to rush off anyway, since she and Claire were busy making paper puppets.

Kimberly said...

As I typed that part out, I thought to myself, 'Why the heck didn't I see if Cindy could keep her late that afternoon?!" I am so slow to see a thought through sometimes, I crack myself up after the fact. Anyway, the other reason I just remembered we couldn't stay for the aftershow stuff was that Anna had gymnastics at 4. :S Wasn't willing to miss that. Thank you though! I really do know you have my back if I need it. :)

Emily said...

Tell Anna that lego bunny and carrot were quite impressive...even more impressive is that you have SO many legos that she could make it ALL one color! ahhaha!! We have a long way to go to have the number of legos you have, but we've asked for Legos for Christmas! Maybe we'll start getting more. :)

Kimberly said...

Even more than more impressive is that is takes up way less space than I think it would because they keep it so organized and stored so well. That is my offering to you - as your lego collection grows, invest in toolboxes and storage systems for organizing.

Emily said...

I hear that! Good Lord, we don't even have that many, but when they need a particular piece...the entire bin gets dumped...and then I'm picking up legos strewn from on end of the house to the other by the end of the day....quite literally...

Note taken, I will surely invest..

Kimberly said...

Josh got a number of these. And they are so easily stacked.
www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416247599&sr=8-4&keywords=stanley+organizer+tool+box