Jul 22, 2013

Evolution of a Room

Taa Daa:  Our homeschool classroom is ready for action.
It's Go Time, y'all!

 

Looking at this space now amazes me to recall how much this bonus room has evolved in the almost 5 years we have been here.  It started out as Noah's bedroom (toddler bed and all) when we moved here. 


 Then when we swapped Noah's room with the guest bedroom a couple years ago, this rec space became a multipurpose room housing storage, a guest bed, craft space, and video game space.


Then it morphed into a more orderly version of guest bedroom/game room/exercise space.


Last fall is when the biggest transition started.  We started clearing out EVERYTHING to build it again from the ground up for homeschooling space.  It got messy! It also got occupied by Legos. :S


Little by little, we sold stuff, cleared stuff, moved stuff out and my old school stuff started finding a home once again.


Until finally last night we got the finishing touches in place - pocket charts hung, plugs found for various needs, and all extra clutter moved out once and for all.


A close up of the wall of shelves.  All my manuals, guides, resources are on the left,


followed by chapter books in bins, a comfy chair, an easel and my favorite thing from my classroom days, the dartboard, on the right.


The banquette/table we'll use for getting work done. Also, all my picture books have been pared down to JUST what you see on the cubicle shelf.  That is just amazing to me!  Now that I mention it, my chapter book library took a pretty good trim down this year as well.  It only took me 7 years and about 4 clean outs to finally be able to let so much of my classroom stuff go. :}


What you can't see is the closet with shelving and supplies.  But trust me, it's also there and quite organized. :)  We are getting started tomorrow with Noah's first day of second grade.  He is GIDDY, I tell you. Impatient to start and just plan giddy. Myself? I just don't know what to expect.  Which makes me wonder what he's expecting!  Yikes! We'll find out soon enough.  We are gonna ease our way into this new routine and report back after a few weeks when we have had a chance to collect our thoughts and let any crazy emotions settle.  Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Emily said...

whoa. That's a lot of pictures of one room :) haha!

And you call yourself non-sentimental. Psh,.. whatev. haha!

Kimberly said...

Heck yeah! I am blogger through and through. Got to document!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

The teacher in me loves seeing all the details of your room. I'm so excited for you in this new adventure! Though back to school always had it's tense moments, there was so much I loved about it too... and doing it with your own kiddos has got to make it ever so much more fun!