Aug 23, 2016

Remembering Rio

I don't know why, but I was tuned into the Olympics this year like never before.  Like, I would have it on as often as I could during the day and I watched it every night.  And not just the gymnastics like I have always done before.  Ha!  All the events.  Even the obscure ones.  Canoe sprints, swimming, high jumps, track, shot put, and whitewater kayaking were my jam!  It was fun, too, that the kids were getting into it as well.  Nevermind that Anna got ahead of herself and made a snow-skiing event model ... for the summer games.  Ha!!  Same diff - athletes, competition, commentators, cheering crowd.

 

Love Noah's swimming model.

 

While I wasn't as ambitious as the rest of my homeschool peeps doing Olympics mini-units around the whole thing, I did (at the last minute) have the kids select five countries to root for knowing that those countries' medal counts would count toward their own total points at the end of the games.  A fantasy football sort of approach to the Olympics. :}  Noah's countries are on the top, Anna's on the bottom.  Noah accidentally drew an Austria flag when he meant Australia.

 

It was close, but in the end, Noah's Olympic teams edged out Anna's. I think that might not have happened if he had stuck with Austria.  HA!


I was so bummed when the Olympics were over this weekend ... until I remembered that it is now FOOTBALL SEASON!  NFL preseason games for the win pulling Kimmie out of her post-Olympic bummer.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

The Paralympics start in a couple weeks :-)

Kimberly said...

Ahh, yes! Silver lining. I forgot! The commercials I saw for it were quite impressive. Noah is always fascinated by people with missing limbs, so he will be my partner in continued Olympic viewing. :D

Emily said...

Ha! We muted through all the commercials. We'll have to watch the paralympics too! How fun!