Nov 18, 2016

TPR So Far

So.  Termination of Parental Rights.  I have had a workweek to process what we talked about with Lasa's attorney now. Monday night we sat down with Lisa and learned a few things about this TPR idea we have in mind and its reality in the court system.
  • Yes, we will go forward with it.
  • No, it's not a given that it will be successful.
  • Yes, I assumed TPR was an obvious next step to take after permanent custody. 
  • No, it's not; in the eyes of the court, it is an entirely different beast. 
  • Yes, Angelique's failure to visit with and provide for Lasa are grounds for TPR.
  • But no, they are not strong grounds for TPR apparently. (!!!)
  • Ugh, the judge Lisa expects to hear our case has been hard to move a TPR through.
  • Though yes, really, that's fair and judicious.
  • No, we should not initiate visits with Angelique while she is in jail. 
  • Because yes, it could interfere with our case for TPR.
  • Yes, Lisa will file by the end of November.  
  • So yes,  court could be anytime between January-March.  Ish.
  • No, this is still not even considered a motion by us. 
  • Yes, this is considered a motion by Lasa's atty, in her perceived best interest of the child.
  • Yes, Lisa will visit Angelique at the jail after she has been served the papers.
  • Yes, she will see if Angelique will just agree to TPR and save all the hassle.
  • No, I won't be surprised if Angelique still refuses.
  • But yes, I absolutely think it is possible.  Praying for the miracle change of heart.
  • Yes, it is possible this will all end with a No.
  • Yes, I will accept that from the Lord with peace.
  • Yes, this thing I thought was a simple filing and next step toward adoption could actually get ugly.  We could be called to testify in court.  Against Angelique.  
  • Yes, that makes me physically sick to imagine. 
  • No, I didn't not imagine it would be this involved.
  • As well, I am told by a friend that her lawyer will try to disparage us as well.  That will hurt, I imagine.  
  • But no, I can't imagine a single thing they could launch against us.  Honestly. We have been CAREFUL to be in Angelique's corner as long as we have known her.
  • Yes, I am slow to anticipate these things apparently.  
  • Gosh. 
  • Yes, I have wavered this week about whether we should still proceed.
  • No, Josh has not wavered one bit. 
  • Yes, I agree he is right and that this is fair and reasonable to go after.  
  • But no, it's just not what I thought it was going to be.  
  • Yes, that scares me.
  • It is what it is.  
  • So yes, Soldiering on!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Welp....that answered many of my own questions. HOly SMOKES....Praying hard for everything to go as smoothly as is possible. Praying Angelique has a miraculous change of heart toward the good and welfare of her child. Praying for the right words by Lisa as she talks to Angelique about the papers. Praying for peace through all this for you and your entire family.

Love you guys!

Amy Faye Brown said...

Our family court system makes no sense!
Ugh!
But our Lord's plans do.
Covering in prayer.

Kimberly said...

Thank you, Emily! The Lord's peace will be all we need!

And amen, Amy! That is how I talk myself out of worry about this ... His plans and purposes will be accomplished. I want nothing else. Thank you!

The White Family said...

Praying for you guys!!!

Kimberly said...

MUCH appreciated! 💛