Nov 19, 2016

Lasa's Ears: A Saga

Lasa's ears are slowly killing all of ussssssss.  

She has ear infections (yes, plural) that will not die.  What started in late October and seemed to respond to 10 days of Cefdinir only cranked right back up again in early November to be prescribed a stronger oral antibitotic, Augmentin.  And while they seemed to go away during that 10 day regimen, her fever returned AS SOON AS we finished her last dose.  Back at the dr this week for a THIRD TIME, her ears had actually worsened, so we began three MORE days of dr visits for antibiotic injections of Rocephin.  But. To. No. Avail. Cue the tears ... Lasa's, which haven't abated in a week, and now Kimmie's.  

 

Sanity had left the building at this point. Seriously, Lasa cried a million times and I cried twice at the pediatrician this week before they capitulated and prescribed my poor baby some real pain relief.  Tylenol #3 for the win!  

One night midweek, I was so frazzled with Lasa's relentless crying and anger (all justified, I know this!), Josh kicked me out the door after getting home from work to give me a break.  He sent me to pick up a couple BOGO groceries, to read a book wherever I felt like landing, and to go see a movie.  I did all three, called my sister, and also picked up my first ever bottle of wine.  Child #3 and her poor ears have broken me and, in so doing, have driven me to drink!  HA!


For anyone who's curious, the movie I saw was Arrival and I loved it!  



Jump forward a couple days, Josh called and begged and called again to get a local ENT to squeeze us in sooner than the 2 weeks out appt they gave us through the pediatrician's referral.  Then they moved us up to next week, Thanksgiving week.  We were thankful for it, but it still threw a bomb in our holiday trip plans.  Somehow, I know not how, the ENT called us back again after giving Josh attitude for calling too much - ha! - and said we could come Friday morning after all.  I was there with bells on.  And I knew it was a long shot, but I was hopeful they might even cut us more slack and put tubes in her ears that afternoon.  How's that for hilarious?!   Spoiler alert, they did not.


But they did do a hearing test, listened to our 15 month tale of Lasa's ear woes, surveyed the scenes of the crime in each ear, and agreed that, yes, this poor child is stilllllll infected in both ears, has HEARING LOSS IN THE LEFT EAR NOW forcryingoutloud, and should get some tubes asap.  Unfortunately for me, their asap translated to Tuesday of next week - the nail in the coffin of our hopes to keep our Thanksgiving plans in tact.  #reallife.  Also stinky for me?  I have to have her there at 6:00 a.m. 😳

SO, Josh and the kids left today for a week in FL - Legoland, grandparents, birthparents, possible beach day, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, picnic with Memaw, and all manner of fun always enjoyed with family.  Lasa and I are hunkering down here in TN for the holiday til her little surgery on Tuesday and trying not to dwell how bummed we are.  Good thing I am a homebody for the most part.  This sort of disappointment would send anyone else over the edge, I think, after the month we have endured!

Insult to injury - now the babe has a yeast infection.  My sister/on-call nurse reference tells me this is to be expected after so long on antibiotics.  If it's not one thing, it's another, ain't it?!  Insert pic of me hanging my head in defeat. 

Summary - we hate Lasa's ear pain, we hate missing Thanksgiving together, but we are more thankful than anything else to have an end in sight.  Serenity now!!!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

UGH....just reading all that again, makes me hurt all over again for her. Hopefully she's got enough Tylenol #3 to get you to Tuesday. And RELIEF at last ! So does the ENT think the hearing loss will improve and go away after the tubes?

Kimberly said...

He says it CAN repair. Hard to call it now because at her age, the test only tells a yes or no. It doesn't tell to what degree. But I am gonna not worry til they tell me to worry about that part. Retroactively angry for not having gone to ENT sooner, maybe. But not worried.

Amy Faye Brown said...

So stinking sorry.
Goodness.
I have no words.

Kimberly said...

Me neither now. Just tears. Because now while Josh is gone and Lasa has surgery in the morning, we have plumbing issues leaking through the floor upstairs into our kitchen!! SERENITY NOWWWWWWWWWWW...