Feb 18, 2019

Lovely Words

Confession:  I am SUCH a word nerd, I keep a running list of several types of words going at all times, either on my phone or on paper.  Obviously, I keep up with new-to-me words and post them semi-regularly; those I always stop reading and look them up on the spot and then later drop them all here on the blog when I have accumulated a bunch.  This year, I also started a notebook where I record beautifully-composed lines, meaningful quotes and arresting passages I come across in my reading; one of my homeschool/readerly people I respect calls this a Commonplace Book.  As well, I keep a list on my phone of stuff the kids say that I wanna remember for any variety of reasons.  And finally, I have a pet list at the moment of pretty words; words I just think sound so lovely and/or look so lovely on the page.  That is the list I am gonna unload here today finally.  I have been adding to this particular list for over 6 mos now and it's gotten lengthy enough to let it drop. Since definitions are not needed for these words, I will simply list in a quick paragraph.  Faves in bold...

stricken, wrest, dastardly, askance, newfangled, indelicate, thusly, environs, labyrinthine, architrave, winsome, aggrieved, timeworn, inexpert, disputatious, crystallized, aplomb, merriment, birdsong, talisman, overture, writ, sycophancy, chamberlain, madam, garner, cello, sanctum, disquiet, musculature, majesty, indomitable, dazzle, hobble, corridor, posh, inland, unreservedly, mercy, kerchief,  jonquils, nightfall, conflicting, temperance, upheaval, proclamation, domesticity, insofar, readiness, misadventure

Good show, language! ;)  Love you!

2 comments:

Amy Faye Brown said...

My nerd heart just exploded. (By the way, I wear glasses now lending to the full nerd effect!)

I play a silly little game called Word Crossy on my phone and I think of you when I'm playing it. Lots of unusual words pop up and the game has just added definition capabilities which makes it that much more fun.

I may have to start a list to send you my finds.

Kimberly said...

Ooh, thanks for the heads up about a word game that appeals. Anna plays one too that I do along with her sometimes called Wordscape. It's pretty satisfying to play!

You in glasses is downright adorable, I just know.