Feb 9, 2018

Noah + Language + TSU

For years I have felt that there was some sort of disconnect happening for Noah inside his brain in a language processing sort of way.  It's hard to describe without launching into tedious examples and scenarios to get the idea across, so I think that is why I have not been more assertive about getting a professional opinion for so long; I didn't even know what the actual problem was! As well, he was once tested for this sort of disorder back in public school in first grade and that testing only yielded results that allowed them to quickly dismiss Noah, saying he was below average in that area but not bad enough that services were warranted.  😏  They did, in their defense, assign him speech services at that time, from which he benefited greatly and graduated from after two years.  This was helpful, but still this undefined language issue persisted. For years now while homeschooling, I have wondered if there was something still at play.  I have chalked it up to his less than assertive manner and just general childishness.  I have not been confident enough to seek out help and further assessment.  Until this year.  This year, the disconnect (I have always sensed) has been much more glaring and problematic in his schoolwork.  With middle school level work breathing down our necks this fall, I wanted to finally take the bull by the horns and have Noah assessed again before work gets even more daunting than it is already feeling.  So, I got a book to finally educate myself about these issues so I could know to whom and when and what to say about my concerns for Noah.  So glad I did!  This book nailed all my concerns RIGHT ON THE HEAD and also very directly encouraged me to consult a professional and not shy away. 


By the end of the book, I had dog-eared many pages and starred so many bullet points that matched my Noah's stuff.  On the last page, I made a list of words that gave a face to my otherwise wordy examples of issues we are having.  I felt armed and ready to get some assessment/feedback finally.


After a friendly request for Speech/Language Pathologist recommendations on FB, we landed at Tennessee State University's Speech and Language Clinic.  I had no idea colleges offered these sorts of services but it makes all the sense in the world and I am SO glad I reached out for help on social media.  We submitted an application for assessment for Noah and they had us in there right away.  The battery of tests they gave Noah lasted five days, bless his heart, for a total of 7+ hours.  His language weaknesses were apparent so quickly.  It was obvious and it was bad.  Those questions they asked him were like lasers into the issues he's been having and I felt so relieved and validated that they were presenting for them as they were for me.  I really wasn't sure how a test would be able to see what I was seeing with him day to day, but thankfully the professionals know what they are doing.  Ha!  Josh was with him/listening in that first day and was surprised by what he was hearing ... even though he has heard me describe my frustrated and confused concerns a million times.

 
 

When all was said and done,  Vocabulary subtests fluctuated between grossly within normal limits and well within normal limits.  I feel like this matches what I am seeing and am glad that the concerns I have for him are not regarding these. 👍🏻 The Language portion of the results revealed a moderate impairment for him with receptive and expressive language processing/content/memory.  These are {exactly} the worries I have been having for him and it is such a relief to have someone who knows more about it say they see it too and that I am not imagining things! They offered him a spot for individual language therapy twice a week. We snatched up that help with immediacy and thankfulness.  It is high time!  He starts Monday.  I am pumping myself up to get used to the new regular drive to Nashville ... and in rush hour traffic on the way home both days. 😬  Momma's gotta do what a momma's gotta do to help her baby.  Fingers crossed that they strengthen the weak areas (thereby improving his confidence about these things again) and give us both some working strategies for continued practice and improvement all around. Hopeful!

5 comments:

The White Family said...

So good for you to find out a diagnosis! Mama always knows best!

Kimberly said...

Emily and I laugh at how she is more happy for ME than Noah. Ha! The "not knowing" and fretting and doubting and wondering over time really does wear a momma down. You'd think I would know by now ... just go to the drs and get some answers instead of thinking you have to have the answers before you go in!

G said...

Yikes. Way to be persistent. Stock up on audio books for that drive!

Kimberly said...

Yes! I had that thought fleetingly myself! Thank you for the reminder!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

So happy for you ALL that you are getting some answers... what a huge blessing to have such great resources so readily available... even if you do have to drive. ;-)