Jun 15, 2021

More Words, As Ever

 Words I have collected along my reading way these past months.  Faves in bold.

  • sangfroid - composure or coolness under trying circumstances
  • chicanery - the use of trickery to achieve a political, financial, or legal purpose
  • coxcomb - a vain and conceited man
  • agglomeration - a mass or collection of things; assemblage
  • fundament - the foundation or basis of something
  • palaver - unnecessarily elaborate or complex procedure
  • philippic - a bitter attack or denunciation, especially a verbal one
  • fulvous - reddish yellow; tawny
  • paregoric - a camphorated tincture of opium used to relieve pain
  • fantods - a state or attack of uneasiness or unreasonableness
  • cynosure -  a person or thing that is the center of attention or admiration
  • lickerish - lecherous
  • coulee - a deep ravine
  • clement - mild
  • inglenook - a space on either side of a large fireplace

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bradley said...

These word lists always make me smile. Not that your other posts don't. But I love that you love words and make lists of them. My favorite on this list was paregoric.

Have you read anything by Gene Stratton Porter? I rediscovered her in the last couple of years... rediscovered as I remember vaguely Girl of the Limberlost from high school. But I have really enjoyed The Keeper of the Bees and Freckles and plan to reread Girl of the Limberlost soon as I can't remember if I really ever read it before.

Kimberly said...

I haven't! Scoping her out now. Thanks for the recommendation!